Sunday, May 11, 2008

Warning: Rant Inside - Handle with Care

So this season here on Catalina Island I've been rooming with my best friend. Now, I'll preface by saying, we live in trailers with thin walls and there is an even thinner door that seperates our rooms. If you didn't know, 12 of us live in "staff village", which means close proximity and knowing wayyyyy too much about the activities of one another. This also means, that if your trailermate has any sexual activity, not only do you hear it, but you can feel it too. My luck, my best friend's boyfriend also lives here.


Now, normally this is a hilariously awkward situation. My favorite thing to do is have a conversation with one or the other while their doing their thing. It annoys them, but not as much as they annoy me. You see, I love my best friend dearly, but her and her boyfriend cannot get along to save their lives...one second she's whining and crying about how he's called her fat and the next? Earthquake.


This is a dilemma for me...my mate lives 2500 miles away and we get along fantastically. We talk to eachother everyday over the phone and are going to be moving in together when I return to Michigan in a few weeks. My best friend makes me feel guilty for having a great relationship with my boyfriend...she also makes me feel really crappy when her and her man are all over eachother all the time, that is, when she's not fighting with him. It's almost like she's shoving it in my face that her boyfriend is here and mine is not.


I'd like to take an elbow to her face sometimes. For god's sake, be thankful that your man is here with you...either that or break up with his sorry ass. If he makes you feel sooooo bad about yourself, get rid of him. Stand up for yourself for the love of all that is holy in this world! And STOP shoving your relationship in my face constantly. I hate that baby talk that you two do...grow up! And stop complaining about him to me and not listening to any advice I give you. I give up. I simply give up.



Thank goodness the season is almost over - only 18 more days. Her boyfriend is leaving a week earlier than the rest of us...and frankly, I cannot wait. I can have my best friend back for a week. Before their relationship was serious, she was fun to be around, she smiled a lot, she laughed a lot, and she cared about other people. Now...she's changed. Shannon Hoon once crooned "When life is hard, you have to change." Yeah, well, her life is not hard...she didn't have to change.


Maybe it all boils down to the fact that I miss Jerry and to watch the two of them fight one minute and all over eachother the next, brings up all sorts of emotions. I didn't want to come back to the island, I wanted to stay back in Michigan with him and all the family and friends that love and care about me. I thought moving in with my best friend would help...but it only made things worse, I think. I've almost made it through this 3 and half month journey and it's been quite the trip. I'm ready to move on.

No comments: